Edit 2: Weather Underground has a full replacement you should get instead called OpenWeatherMap.
Edit: As a partial alternative to the below, you can install a Weather Underground zip file found here. You will still need to generate the WU API key per instructions below. This key will be added in the new add ons settings. Both solutions work; I suggested picking the one you anticipate being more permanent, but neither should be overwritten in updates. I’m using the below method and not the zip file to help avoid bloat, which my install already suffers from.
Edit 2: I created a video resource for the below steps you can find here.
So, if you use XBMC with a weather app you may have noticed that Weather Underground has been marked as broken. Ronie vaguely details here that the Weather Underground app is broken due to API. Sure enough, the to fix the broken Weather Underground issue you need to manually apply your own API key. Weatherman has listed the solution I will describe here. The broken Weather Underground app drove me crazy, so I wanted to provide another resource to be found and further elaborate on Weatherman’s instructions.
Weather Underground Broken Fix in XBMC (Kodi)
- Go to Weather Underground here.
- More > Weather API for Developers
- Click “Sign for free” and follow through with your account creation.
- Go to “pricing” and choose the free plan. Click “Purchase Key.”
- Fill out all app information. Select non-commercial, obviously. Just select website, non-mobile use.
- Once your account and app are created click “Key Settings” and you will see your API key twice. Copy this key:
- You will need the reverse of your API key. With your API key copied visit this link.
- Paste your API key and click the first option “reverse text”
- Copy the output.
- You will now need to convert this inverse code into base64. Visit this link. Paste your inverse code in the top box. The default UTF-8 works, so just click “encode.” Copy the output.
- You will need to paste this encoded, inverted API key into the wunderground.py file. First close XBMC and make sure you can view hidden files on your machine.
- Update: Note that in the path the “XBMC” directory in the roaming folder will now be “Kodi.”C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\weather.wunderground\resources\lib\wunderground.py
- That’s the path, but do not run it via cmd unless you make sure to swap out the user, Trevor
- Paste your encoded, inverted API key in between the single parenthesis on the line: WAIK = ”
- Save and close this file.
- Open up XBMC/Kodi and you will see that you have just fixed the broken Weather Underground app in XBMC / Kodi.